Tuesday 3 September 2013

Aggelika Korovessi




Time, Form, Concept, by Aggelika Korovesi at the Athens National Archaeological Museum.


One modern sculpture in each of the rooms of the Museum, a dialogue between contemporary art an ancient Greek sculpture.




 
Peace, 2011 (cast bronze
 
at reception, marking the beginning of the exhibition
 
 
 
 
 
looking closer
 
 
 
 
 
Sonic Alphabet, 2013 (stainless steel, cast bronze)
 
Waveforms of the sound of the letters of the Greek alphabet
 
 
 

 


looking closer





 
Flight, 2013 (cast bronze, marble
 
 
 

 
Transmutations I, III, 1992 (wood, metal, glass, cast bronze, marble) 
 
 
 


Balancing, Perhaps, 2013 (cast bronze, stainless steel)






Horsepower, 1985 (cast bronze)

In the same room as the Artemision jockey - a juxtaposition of the frenetic speed of the jockey then, and the dynamism of the modern rider, now.




 
Struggle, 2003 (bronze) 
 
 
 
 

 
Air, 2003, (bronze, tufa (time stone)) 
 
 



 
Eros, 1996, (wood, metal, ink) 
 
 
 


Freedom, 2009, (cast bronze)




 
Woman - Timelines, 1986 (silkscreening on plexiglass)
 
 



Peace - Paz, 1997, (bronze, marble)

Waveform of the word 'peace' in Greek and Spanish




 
Water, 1996 (wood, aluminium) 
 
Water and the canoe lead us to the river Acheron
 
 
 


Sea Travellers, 2010 (stainless steel, bronze).




4 comments:

  1. An interesting idea - there seem to be more and more museums juxtaposing contemporary art. I find some thought-provoking elements in this particular body of work. It is certainly a big ask to compete with the ancients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the exhibition and was disappointed to find out when I got home and looked at the blurb we were given, that I missed two of her sculptures: the museum is so big, it was easily done, but a shame nevertheless.

      I like the idea of the old with the new and I am glad that museums are starting to do this. I have been to a few more where this juxtaposition happened, but I cannot remember now what they were - very frustrating. The most famous that comes to mind, which I did not see, is Damian Hirst in 2009, exhibiting in the middle of the Wallace Collection even though the purpose of that exhibition was just to feed that massive ego: I do not regret missing that one.

      Delete
  2. Interesting work. I particularly like the look of the silkscreen printing on the plexiglass and the fish skeleton sculpture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the sculptures, Mick, and found the idea of recording the waveforms of sounds and then turning them into sculptures, really interesting.

      As for the silkscreen printing on plexiglass, I liked that too. It also reminded me for some reason, of 'Suzanne Walking in Leather Skirt' by Julian Opie, which was exhibited outside the Hugh Lane Gallery when we visited Dublin - I don't know why, as the materials and method used, are very different. I don't know if you saw it when you visited.

      Delete