Monday 3 July 2017

Warwickshire Open Studios, 2017 - 2



More local artists' work exhibited at Warwickshire Open Studios.


Don Mason, painting:

The artist's statement about his work:

'I interpret landscapes using mixed media, oil paint and soft pastels... The key element I work from is memory; my paintings represent various layers of how I remember the landscape. Whenever I am travelling I see a moment within the landscape that I want to capture. I will often create a sketch or watercolour and take photos, when I am back in my studio I work from this reference material and I apply my memory as a filter to create the finished painting. It's always a surprise that my reference photographs never really capture what I have in mind'.






























Zoe Petrie, ceramics:

The artist's statement about her work:

'I mostly use stoneware clay and I have experimented with hand building and slip casting but my main love is throwing forms on the wheel.

Horsehair and resist slip and glaze raku is known as naked raku. Naked because there is no glaze, the shine is from a very fine slip carefully placed on to the dry pot before bisque firing and then polished to a sheen. The slip is known as Terra Sigillata and was used by the ancient Romans. 

In horsehair raku the pots are heated up in a raku kiln and pulled out almost red hot. Horsehair, feathers and sugar are then carefully placed on the pots which instantly ignite to leave a carbon imprint and smoke marks on the pot.

Resist slip and glaze is a process of marking the pots by smoke. Starting as white clay a slip is painted o to the pot and then a glaze. The pots are heated to 900C, removed and placed into a bin of combustibles which instantly burn. Smoke is absorbed by the pot which turns black except where the glaze was added, as the glaze resists the smoke leaving parts of the pot white. The slip and glaze are scrubbed away. In both techniques, to finish, a wax is applied to enhance the shine'.




































No comments:

Post a Comment